Walking on the peat paths [12 km]
In the vicinity of Van der Valk Hotel Breukelen is beautiful nature! Besides that you can sail through the Botsholse nature reserve, you can also take a walk on peat paths. We have set out this route of approximately 12 kilometers especially for our hotel guests. You walk over dikes, along the water, you come across mills, beautiful reed collars, a ferry and of course the beautiful peat paths. Halfway through the route you can take a lovely break at De Grote Sniep and overlook the Peat area from the watchtower. The route starts and ends at Van der Valk Hotel Breukelen!
- Walk through the grounds of Hotel Breukelen out of the barriers
- Go left towards Stationsweg
- Walk underneath the tunnel and follow the bend around the road.
- Cross the roundabout [second exit]
- Before the drawbridge you can turn left onto the Galgerwaard, you walk along the river Groote Heicop
- You will arrive at the drawbridge of Portengen, cross the road and repeat your way along the water over the dike
- Where the water divides you can cross the water with the ferry [Voetveer Joostendam]
- After getting off the ferry, go left and around the bend
- Follow the water, you are now crossing the dike over Bijleveld
- When you see the Wiatrak mill across the water, you're on the right track!
- At the end of the dike you will arrive at the pumping station, cross the road diagonally to the Veenkade
- You are now walking on the first peat paths
- You will then arrive at Pavilion Tower De Grote Sniep, where you can enjoy something to eat or drink before continuing your route
- Continue your route, from De Grote Sniep, turn left and follow the Veenkade peat path
- Be careful, cross the Korenmolenweg carefully to continue your route over the Veenkade
- You will then come to a fork, turn left onto Bosdijk
- You will soon be at a fork again, turn right
- You walk over a small section of hardened road, cross the intersection
- Soon turn right at the next intersection and immediately left onto an unpaved path on Boterwal [if you need to use the toilet, you can continue straight ahead over the Bosdijk for a little bit. On the right side you will find a small park with toilet Bosdijk. Continue the route after this!]
- You will arrive at the end of Boterwal at a fork with Oud Aa, turn right
- You are now walking the last bit of paved road over Oud Aa
- Cross the intersection and continue on Oud Aa
- You are now back at the roundabout of the provincial road, continue straight on
- Follow the road to the left through the tunnel
- You will see the windmill and our hotel on the right
- Welcome back!